Monday, February 13, 2012

Water into Wine

I belong to a church that has a lay ministry.  That means that no one gets paid to serve the congregation in any way, shape or function.  This means that you don't have to worry about the content or direction of your worship services being driven by a need for financial contributions. It also means that you, yes you, will probably be called upon to prepare and deliver a sermon to the entire congregation from time to time.  And finally, it means that when it's someone else's turn, you will have the pleasure of sitting in the audience and becoming more acquainted with the Lord through the experiences and testimony He has given to them.

But every once in a while, for one reason or another...it just doesn't work.  Someone will show up a little too human, or ill-prepared, or whatever, but the show just never gets off the ground.  You may call that a drawback, as in "disadvantage" drawback; but I discovered yesterday that it's more like a drawback as in, "you're about to shoot an arrow from your bow" drawback.  Let me explain:

Yesterday I was in a meeting that was leaning a little on the "waste of my time" side when I decided that instead of judging the brother who was producing the jibber-jabber, I should try to love him and think of positive things about him.  Once I did that, I began to feel the Spirit and as soon as I began to feel the Spirit,  I noticed that I was being taught by that Spirit as well.  NOT by anything that was being said by this brother...it was still jibber-jabber...but because the Spirit had been invited into my heart, I actually left that class having learned a few things; a few things about the subject matter and a few things about love.

I do belong to the Lord's church.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  He directs his church on earth and I am happy to say, still turns water into wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment