Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Up, Up and Away

You'd like my son if you met him.  He's got a great smile and a personality to match.  He's always walked to the beat of his own drum, a trait that I find irresistable in most people.  Perhaps the best way to sum him up is with this story: 

When he was three years old, we went to a family reunion where someone had supplied helium balloons for all the little children in attendance to have.  On our way to the van at the end of the day, we passed one of our cousins who was unsuccessfully trying to console her little boy whose balloon had just come loose and had begun to float away.  This little tike was unconsolable.  My son followed his tearful gaze up to the sky and in wonder, watched the escaping balloon float higher and higher. 

Suddenly my little guy looked at me, held up his wrist and asked me to untie his balloon.  I thought he was going to give it to our distraught little relative.  Nope.  He took his balloon by the ribbon and let it go as well.  Standing there, his little neck craned back as far as it would go...watching in double the wonder as double the balloons floated away. 

To him, seeing the balloons float up, up and away was much more fulfilling and magical than walking around with one tied to his wrist, and watching it die the next day.  I think he may really be on to something and although I can't quite tell exactly what it is all the time...it's been a joy trying to figure it out with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment